Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:27:17 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      A/C and radiator fan issues

I returned home from a 2-week project in SoCal last Friday evening and found that neither the A/C or radiator fan was working on the van. My wife said that the A/C had quit working earlier in the week so she quit driving the van.

Fixing the radiator fan was straight-forward, fuse F1 had blown. The fuse itself had bubbled and melted some of the the lower left corner of the fuse block before it blew. I have a new fuseblock and will be installing it this week, but first need to find a way to dissapate some of the heat from the fuse block. Any ideas? I was using contact cleaner and lubricant on the connectors, but it didn't seem to help. My guess is that the constant use of the radiator fan on low with the A/C on and the increase in the amount time that the 2nd stage fan speed is engaged due to the higher operating pressures of R-134a have taken their toll on the 15 year old wiring.

In order to get the A/C working, I looked into the fuse and buss in the 'D' pillar and found that the supply side of the 50A fuse holder had come loose from the plastic and the fuse had tore. I had already repaired it once, but it seems that the wiring for the system is woefully undersized for use in my geographic area. I had already replaced the evap blower feed wires and fuses with more substantial pieces, so I decided to upgrade the main supply wiring as well.

I found a large 8 awg inline fuse holder with a section of stranded 8 awg for an audio system power connection at my local electronic surplus store a while back and decided to replace the original feed wire and fuse holder with it. I was able to use the existing wire to pull the new one through the wiring harness, then I soldered new gold ring terminals on both ends to connect to both the alternator terminal and the wires from the other side of what was left of the fuse holder.

I bought some of the large audio-type 40A fuses and the system is running fine now. All the wiring still gets very hot even with the new wiring so it looks like I will have to keep an eye on the new components to see how they hold up.

I'll try to post some photos of the insides of the fuse blocks, both old and new; I was pretty impressed when I popped the front cover off my replacement unit.

Anyway, it looks like I will be working around Pomona, CA all next week, so if anyone wants to have a beer and show off their van, let me know.

Thanks for listening,