Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:10:27 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - Oil Leak has been identified
Comments: To: lchase@attglobal.net
Comments: cc: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com,
          wetwesties@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          vwcc@yahoogroups.com, vw-camping@yahoogroups.com

Damn Larry! I'll just bet you've started the posting of the century with this one. You'll probably get 1000 responses. However; You know how outspoken I am .......... so here goes. #1) Run what you brung, In otherworlds; make every effort to let the guy that built your engine repair it. #2) Insane as it might seem. JB Weld might be a fix to get you back to Eurocars. #3) If you can actually find / see / get to the leak and sand, file or otherwise clean and roughen the surface you can probably get JB Weld to stick. (I'm not ruling out other epoxy patching materials). #4) I patched an intake manifold on a 1971 MG Midget with a product called plastic steel in about 1988. Paranoid as I am I located and overpaid for a replacement manifold. I sold the MG in 2001 and the plastic steel was still holding the manifold together after 50K miles. This wasn't a small crack it was right on the end and the break went clean around the manifold. I about tippled my money on the good replacement manifold when I sold it after the MGs departure. I had warehoused that manifold waiting for the plastic steel to give up the ghost but it just didn't. ---------------------------- Welding aluminum is no mean feat these days. I again say; 'If you can actually find / see / get to the leak', you might get it welded in place. A cracked case could be caused by many things so I wouldn't expect Eurocars to "N/C" a case for you since it's not an item they furnished on a rebuild of your existing engine. If however you did an exchange transaction they really do owe you a case. There are many independent welding shops around and in particular Alaska where you'll find some old hounds that have kept old equipment running for many years. You might want to check out the local farm equipment dealers and he'll know where to find the welder with the skill to do the job, he might very well be on their payroll already. ------------------------------- Here is the way I see it: Vibration centers or collects on sharp edges. If this small crack is left un attended for long it might be the collapse of your whole power plant. Checking that dipstick every 100 miles is a pain in the ass and that oil all over the back of your van needs to be cleaned off very good ever few hundred miles. If the rear window is very clean and the leak just opens up exponentially and a flood of oil comes out you'll see it on your back window long before it registers on your idiot light or oil pressure gauge. An oil temperature gauge acts slow so it would not be of much assistance in this situation. Best of luck to you on this one Larry.

Stan Wilder

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:14:23 -0800 "Larry Chase" <roadguy@roadhaus.com> writes: Volks,

The mysterious "Oil Leak" the RoadHaus has had since the engine was rebuilt by Eurocars has been diagnosed.

"Cracked Engine Case".

Obviously the only solution ... tear down the engine and replace or weld the engine case.

Like many other people. I'm trying to contact Ken Morgan of Eurocars for a Warranty solution.

But don't figure there's much chance of that approach.

The leak has recently increased from 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles to 1 quart per 1,000 miles.

I'm thinking I can probably drive it for quite awhile as is.

Based of that assumption and the fact that I need to fly to Tucson the middle of September for a wedding,

I'm thinking of;

- Explore Alaska for a couple more weeks (keeping a close eye on the oil level) and slowly head to Fairbanks. - Find a good shop in Fairbanks to repair the Van while I fly down to Tucson for the wedding. > Lisa Drew has a mechanic she is very enthusiastic about > Any other Fairbanks shop recommendations?

Other opinions and solution ideas very welcome.

"Some days you rule the road Some days the road rules you."

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: www.RoadHaus.com Cell: 480 620 8966 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Roaming the Yukon & Alaska.