Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:42:07 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Not sure what this is, but it's pretty
Comments: cc: jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET

Jere Hawn wrote:

With all the other VW's around in the pic I would say it is a kit car.

Jere

Jeff writes:

I once worked with an overpaid and underworked windbag, Bill, who went on ad nauseum about the 'sports car' he was building in his garage. "From scratch," Bill said, and enigmatically refused to reveal just exactly what he meant by that, or what kind of car it might be. A few of the rest of us were currently working on a variety of MG's, Spitfires, and a '67 Austin Mini in our own garages, so our curiosities were indeed piqued. Especially when it was pointed out that Bill often had difficulty operating the electric pencil sharpener ...

We waited, and a year or so later, the day finally arrived--Bill had brought his sports car to work. We hurried out to the parking lot to find what we would later learn was a Bradley GT: a fiberglass body shell which appeared to be the illegitimate offspring of a carnal union between a late-70's Corvette and a 1969 Opel GT. The gull-wing doors (which often stuck and required a hearty blow from Bill's ham-fist) were half-heartedly deployed by means of a pair of limp gas struts, similar to those found on the hatchback of my '81 Toyota Tercel.

But the real excitement came when the oversized Bill stuffed himself into the undersized bucket seat and brought the magnificent machine to life. Our ears were greeted by the familiar squeeky-exhaust sound of a flat-four Beetle engine beneath the sleek plastic body shell, which now trembled and shook like a Westy ice-cube tray perched atop a Harley-Davidson cylinder head (requisite Vanagon content).

"I still have to hookup the stereo," Bill shouted over the sounds of the revving engine and the buzzing body shell.

"See how shiny HIS wire wheels are?" said Bill's wife to my friend Fred, whose MGB's wheels were long overdue for a good polishing.

"Yeah, but mine are REAL ..." Fred replied, stooping down and prying the plastic hubcap from Bill's vigorously vibrating car. He tossed the wheel-cover to me like a Frisbee, and I quickly popped it back onto the wheel as Bill hastily closed the hatch and prepared to depart, before any more parts detached themselves from his beloved fiberglass faux-Ferrari.

"Waste of a good Beetle ..." Fred muttered as we watched Bill drive off into the sunset, backfiring on the shift. And I hope that's the last I ever see of the Bradley GT.

"OK, I'll leave it at that since I've already gone on for far too long about something I don't know a whole lot about ..."

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"