Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:46:00 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report - Kinda

Not so much a trip report as a recommendation. Drove the Wolfy to Vegas a few weeks ago and crossed the Sierra's at Sonoma Pass on Hwy 108. I've never taken this route before and was blown away... it's beautiful! I didn't even care that the van chugging up the mountain at 25MPH. Not that anyone was going much faster. The tail end of the climb requires that you climb 3,500 feet in about 7 miles, so the road is full of switchbacks. But the payoff is the scenery, you go from dense forest to volcanic rock formations, past small waterfalls and end up driving through a meadow before reaching the summit at 9600'. We liked it so much, we're going camping there next month.

The rest of the trip was nice as well, down 395, through Death Valley and into Vegas. On the way back we just followed 95 to Reno and took the mundane freeway back to Sacramento.

BTW: If you think your WBX'er is gutless now, try it at 9600 feet...

Cheers,

Jeff