Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:27:32 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: type 4 engine noise(long)
Comments: To: Simplstupd@AOL.COM

If the noise is metallic sounding, you may have a loose valve seat. If not, it can be a head seal that burned through. Do another compression and leak down test to determine if there is a compression problem. If it is the gasket at the top of the cylinder, than you have to check the case for straightness as I found that is the usual cause of the head gasket failing.

Dennis

My 82 engine noise is starting to bother me more than normal. FWIW this is my 4th Bus with a type 4 engine in it so I am aware what a healthy engine sounds like and even an unrebuilt one with 205K.

Anyway this engine was rebuilt by a semi-local German only shop in 2001. Receipt says "engine rebuilt with new German heads, pistons, cylinders, oil pump, bearings"

Owner drove it 1000 miles then parked it until I got it 6 months ago. Never started it in that 2 year period. I went and looked at it, noticed a vacuum line off, reattached it, put in fresh battery, and it started and idled great.

It immediately sounded like the lifters for #2 were not pumped up, so we took it for a very easy test drive. By the end of the test drive the lifters pumped up and all was sounding 100%. Bought it and have been driving it every day 50 miles per day since.

Compression is 120 even in all 4. No smoke ever, has not used even a teaspoon of oil in 4 months. Starts and idles immediately, oil light goes out immediately. Runs the best I could imagine it to for 67 hp.

It has a funny noise I've never experienced. Barely noticeable just idling at a light, but noticeable in a drive thru line echoing off the building. *VERY* noticeable if you shift into Park after the commute home. You can still hear the type 4 purr to it, but it has a knocking coming from #2 cylinder area.

I have not yet pulled the VC. With my other type 4's that were hydraulic I never did either other than to replace the VC gaskets. If I pull the VC what am I looking for? I am familiar with valve adjustments.

If one of you gurus heard the engine running on the phone could you have a better idea? I'd be glad to call someone so they could hear it. The rebuilder is not so local so I can not really take it to them.

Your thoughts are much appreciated Paul '82 GL Orlando