Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:46:18 -0500
From:         Blake Thornton <blake@MATH.WUSTL.EDU>
Subject:      Re: urban stealth camping..
Comments: To: John Parson <bentway@IWON.COM>

OK, I'll bite. I've spent a good deal of time urban camping (ie, living) in my van. Here are a few tips from me:

- Dont camp in one place very long, a couple of nights at most. OK, I've gone weeks at a time in one place, but its a bit sketcy.

- Never pop the top. Close all the curtains and don't use a front curtain. Instead, use a curtain just behind the front seats (make one).

- Park in residential areas. You want a good neighborhood, but not too good.

- Don't cook where you are going to sleep. I'll break this rule too, but I find cooking in a city park to be the best and then driving to where I'll sleep.

- Find a shower or make your own. I made a shower for my westy, but I've got to pop the top to use it. I found that waking up and then driving to a park to shower works alright.

- Keep your keys handy and a cell phone just in case. I've never had to hurry out of a place due to jerks and hoodlums, but I have been woken up by the cops. At least the cops will probaby not beat you up.

- Keep still while sleeping -- You don't want to raise too many concerns with your "neighbors" (so keep the sex a bit controlled :) )

- Go to the bathroom before getting to your location. Have a gatorade bottle for midnight bathroom needs (ladies, I don't know what to tell you).

OK, thats all I can really think of. Urban camping is really pretty simple and it only takes a few times before you are a master at it. The shower is something I found to be most useful as it can be a pain finding a free open shower where you are living.

One amazing thing that I've found is that since I've urban camped a significant amount, I've learned how to recognize others who urban camp. I alway see people camped around town (especially when I lived in Utah).

Blake 84 Westy St Louis