Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:23:13 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: urban camping tips

> Anyone else got any urban camping tips?

I've heard it said before that WalMart allows RV'ers to park in their parking lots overnight. When Evon and I traveled cross-country in our Westy, we often "camped" in the parking lots of large stores that were open all night, such as a Walmart or supermarket. We even parked toward the back of a motel parking lot once or twice; since most cars parked at a motel are there all night, we didn't stand out. When we traveled through Europe in a Westy with our then-6-month-old daughter, we stayed at highway rest stops where possible, as in many countries overnight parking was permitted there (sometimes for a nominal fee, but in those cases shower facilities were often available). When in doubt, we avoided popping the top so as not to be too conspicuous, and we never got hassled. While there were often campgrounds not too far away, we opted not to waste time and money looking for one, as our goal was only to get some shut-eye and then drive to our next chosen destination. If you're only going to pull in, go to sleep, wake up, and leave right away, it really doesn't matter how scenic the location is. Instead we saved the scenic stuff for our waking hours, when we could enjoy it. And with the money we saved by not paying for campgrounds, we sprung for a nice hotel room about once a week (or whenever we couldn't find a suitable camping location), just to remember what a real bed and a private bathroom felt like. :-)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT