Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:08:16 +0000
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortinoj@SPEAKEASY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stalling problem, only on the hwy?!?!

I found that I had a couple issues with mine. 85 gl

1. plug wires were green inside so i bought new ones and put that grease on them. note they were only 3 years old. plus one of the heads just popped off after pulling up on it. * weird *

2. my grounds on the block were green and I cleaned them up also put the grease on them. unconnect the battery first before doing anything. ;)

3.fuel pump ground drity

4. I had a bad ALT that would cause my idle to act up a bit, loud bearing noise. so this was die'n.

5. I did the AFM cap mod again after this shop cut it off, just in case i get that weird AFM voltage deal.

these van are wild beasts and what i did might not help but its a start to work from.

BTW this list really helped me get this far. hearing others with same issues.

thanks all Joe 85gl back on the road after getting hit > -----Original Message----- > From: Dave Vieira [mailto:dave172c@YAHOO.COM] > Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 09:02 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Stalling problem, only on the hwy?!?! > > Hey all, > > just put in an engine with new gaskets and what not .. > did some exhaust work .. and testing it out .. . when > i start it . it idles fine for abit then starts reving > up and down ? .. idle stablizer ? or O2 sensor .. > ithink its burning rich as well the smell .. but > driving round town it drives fine, no over heating > even though i think the fan isnt working and its 29 C, > humidity at 52 % :) . but.. anyway.. but I took it out > on the hwy and like.. 2 minutes into driving at about > 110 kms or thats what it says on the speedometer, no > tach so i donno what rpm .. but then it just stalls > ... no loss of power eletrically just the engine died > ... pull off the road . let it sit for like 1 min, > tryed starting it and it started .. started pulling > away .. got out to hwy speed again .. then it stalls > again .. .. .. let it sit then tryed starting it and > it worked .. hmmm... so I got it off the hwy and been > drivning it all round town .. with no problems ... > whats goin on ? .. > > fuel filter is new, could it be dirty injectors, O2 > sensor ? ... ? .. any ideas would be helpfull .. > > thanks > > ===== > Dave Vieira > Hamilton, Ontario > Canada > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com >