Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:43:28 -0600
From:         Eric and Marica <eric.clarke@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Urban camping -- what it is not

I am reminded of the immortal SNL skit with Chris Farley as Motivational Speaker Matt Foley.

"Eatin a steady diet of government cheese and Livin in a Van, down by the river."

Anyway, I have the clip for anyone who's interested. It's hilarious!

As for Urban (urbane?) camping/living - a friend of mine in the late '80s lived in his econoline camper for 2 years in Winnipeg. He had a membership at the Y for 30/month and that provided showers and bathroom for him, a post office box and a cell phone. He cooked on a hot plate (no propane) and had an igloo 12v freezer / cooler. He socked away tons of cash those 2 years. He spent most nights in apartment blocks or hotel 'guest' spaces worked for 2 years. Free power.

For those unaware, Winnipeg (or Winterpig if you like) is damn cold in the winter (below zero at least from November to March and cold snaps of -30C for a few weeks in Jan/Feb is the norm). The clever camper realizes this is an opportunity as most appartment buildings have electrical outlets at each stall in order to plug in block heaters, battery warmers, and in-car heaters.

And hot plates and anything else you may need.

These are pretty much the standard from northern Ontario to BC and power is usually left on all year.

As a second observation, I would assume that you could 'camp' in most bar parking lots without getting hassled. I don't think too many cops would try to move someone along if they thought he was being responsible and crashing in his van. Just keep the key's out of the ignition!

Later,

Eric '80 Westie "Rusty"

Now, I know that many people on this list have lived in their vans for prolonged periods of time. In addition, many of these people have lived in their vans as their *ONLY* place of residence.

With this in mind, let me tell you what I think is *not* true urban van living:

- being on vacation and staying a few days in the city or walmart. This is still *vacation*

- Sleeping in your van in your driveway from time to time. Your house is right there and you are on private property -- no threat of being caught and you have a shower/bathroom right there.

- Sleeping in your van 10-15 minutes away from home. Fairly similar to the above reason.

If your van is your only residence and you have a "real" job, you have my respect. If your van is your only residence and you are a river guide or a park ranger or something similar, then this isn't the same. If you have to wake up in the morning, find a place to shower, put on somewhat nice clothes, get to work and pretend to your fellow workers that you had a nice sleep in your bed, then you have earned my respect.

As far as getting caught. I lived in my van as my sole residence from march - december 97. I slept in the parking lot at the university. I had police wake me up 4-5 times. Until the last time, it was a male officer who woke me up and told me that he was concerned that someone was dead in the van. He told me to go back to sleep and even told me that he would watch out for me. Very nice. The last time I got woken up, it was a female cop who told me to leave or she woud arrest me. I left and didn't go back to the university parking lot. In any case, I got the feeling that the cops wouldn't do anything to you if they found you. Since this time, I have found ways to not get caught. I wasn't as smart as I should have been back in 97.

But, remember: sleeping in your van in an urban setting while vacationing is nothing at all like living full time in your van in urban settings.

Blake 84 Westy St Louis