Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:00:15 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Thanks to the list and a very brief 2.3L WBX writeup

I appreciate everyone's feedback on my question about low oil pressure and hard starting.

Low oil pressure wasn't really all that low - just thin oil with a motor breaking in, and a VDO sender that triggers higher than it should... Solution? Just look at the gage, and (kind of) ignore the red light for now.

Hard starting? Just an older, originally weaker designed starter for a 1.9 trying to crank over 2.3L or pure power. Solution? A new "Hi-Torque" starter for Weddle Industries shipped next day air. Sounds like a race car trying to start up now...

I drove it up to berkeley for an inspection by Buslab, and Marco showed that FI who's boss (him). I came in with a really rough idle, a stinky gas smell out the tail pipe, and a hesitation off idle. I left with a smooth idle, even *more* power, smoooooth accelleration and lots more torque. Solution? Crank the heck out of the AFM spring. It was running super-duper rich, so the AFM spring needed to be tightened up a ton (like 60 clicks or so...). Mixture is looking better and drivability is what i had hoped it would be. Engine was essentially flooded at idle (AFM needs to trick the digijet ECU into thinking the motor is still a 1.9).

After my move up to Canada (vancouver, B.C., to be more precise), i'll see if mr. Bob Donalds will lend me his G-tech pro (he seems pretty curious, about this, too), and i'll try to get ya'll some HP data.

My little westy has got some pep, now! Let's just see how long it peps ;-)

Thanks everyone... and don't forget to help me clean out my garage!

-Damon

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (woo hoo! my first engine build works!)