Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:02:22 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Shipping to Canada and customs
Comments: To: KMcLean@MORROWENV.COM

I always have US parts suppliers indicate that they are shipping "Parts for antique vehicle". This category is exempt from duty (and is the correct category for a 20+ year old vehicle like Pokey).

NEVER indicate that they are volkswagen parts. There is a differential in duty between US parts and import parts.

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:28:34 -0600 >From: Kevin McLean <KMcLean@MORROWENV.COM> >Subject: Re: Shipping to Canada and customs >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >> I recall a former posting regarding shipping items to Canada and a way >to >> avoid customs charges. >> >> I am shipping some used parts to Canada in the next few days and do not >> recall the best method. I do recall not to use FedEx or UPS but to use >USPS. >> >> Does anyone recall if shipping as a gift is one way to have the >recipient >> not pay customs fees. We will insure the item for $900. >> >> Advice needed ASAP >> >> William > >Canada Post charges a flat $5.00 CDN handling fee, on top of what ever the >shipping charges are. I believe this is less than FedEx, UPS, etc. > >Shipments with a value of less than $20.00 CDN are not subject to any duty >or taxes. Gifts under $60 CDN are also duty and tax exempt. > >For shipments over these values, the receiver must pay GST, PST, HST as >applicable for each province. No PST in Alberta :) > >I believe auto parts can be subjected to a duty (up to 6% I believe) but I >have never had this happen to me. > >Typically, USPS - Canada Post is the cheaper way to go. Keeping the >declared value low, but still reasonable, will minimize the taxes. > > >Kevin >Calgary, AB