Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:17:59 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: fresno lens
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>,
          karen davis <yosemite333@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 11:59 AM 8/16/2003, Mike Miller wrote: >Fresnel?

Fresnel.

>David B will know.

If i'm so clever, why am I not rich? ;)

> > in the middle...then I tried moving it towards the passenger side but still > > doesn't seem to show lots of the passenger side. > > > > I can't furgure out how to place it best if I want to see more towards the > > passenger side. I can see well on the drivers side since that side mirror > > doesn't have themoving problem. thanks for any advice.

First advice is a) fix the mirror, and b) stick a quarter-circle convex mirror to it (that will take up about 2/3 of either the top or bottom half of the mirror -- you'll want to experiment a bit before deciding which corner to stick it to. The quarter-circle design maximizes the useful view, and they're only $3 or so -- RV places, I've seen them at K-Mart).

On the lens, if it's one meant for the back of an RV it's designed to let you see the ground -- so rotate it so the edge marked "bottom" is toward the right, and place it as far to the right as you can. It still won't be very satisfactory, I think, because a small car could easily get forward of its view. I have one of the larger-size 3M ones mounted the regular way, and I find that when I can see the headlights of the car I'm passing in it, it's reasonable to pull over.

On dealing with the regular mirror -- I've been looking at it as a problem of the mirror being too loose; but it's maybe useful to think also that the air blast is too strong. It might be possible to rig a deflector tab in front of it that would reduce the blast to a more reasonable level so we wouldn't all have to fight with the mirrors. Thoughts? How about a small aero-spike (i.e. a stick pointing forward from the middle of the mirror, with a disk on the end of it)? And do people have trouble with both mirrors, or mostly the passenger side (as I do)?

As far as tightening the existing adjustment -- there's a spring-loaded nut inside the base that sets the pressure between base and mirror. If it's all the way up and mirror still too loose (which is likely), a washer of some high-friction stuff between the ball and socket parts could help. The mirror I got some years ago from Bus Depot had a plastic bearing surface there that made it much too easy to move; removing that helped a good deal. Mine never shifts in the wind -- but people walking past bump it, and I have a powerful suspicion that slamming the door makes it move.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"