Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:26:48 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some basic TypeIV engine help, please
Comments: To: tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET

Sounds like a bad valve/valve guide/seal that is allowing the oil to be sucked in the intake valve. The intake valve may not be closing all the way, or the exhaust valve, and so a loss of power.

When you get tho this point where the rest of the engine is assumed OK, you must not run it any longer and the head will have to be removed to be replaced or repaired.

You can check the valve rocker clearance to make sure you have .006 cold clearance. Also make sure that the engine is not overfilled with oil.

Don't drive it anywhere though or worse damage can occur-running with a low oil condition on a air-cooled engines spells early engine failure, and rod and piston damage aren't far behind.

Drain the oil to see if you have any metal chips that are signs of bearing damage.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

----Original Message Follows---- From: Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET> Reply-To: Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Some basic TypeIV engine help, please Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:01:58 -0700

Hi all:

Last night, I guess about 3:00AM, a friend of my daughter parked her '78 Westy in front of our house, having driven from Bellingham, Washington over the course of 3 or 4 days. I had heard that "along the way" she had been having engine problems, though what I heard was the engine was leaking oil and the right-side pushrod tube oil seals had been replaced somewhere around Eureka, California. Of course, now that the vehicle is in my driveway, things are much worse.

Talking to my daughter's friend I'm told that the mechanic that replaced the right-side pushrod seals told her that one of the valve stems on #3 - don't know which one - had worn concave. During the trip from Eureka to the SF Bay area she had to stop and put in a quart of oil every 15-30 minutes. She also reports that a few miles from the house she experienced a significant decrease in power. When I started it up this morning it was hard to keep running, had virtually no power - I'd guess it's running on 3 cylinders - and blowing smoke badly, which the friend says is new.

I don't want to deal with this right now, but I guess I have to since she's here and has no money.

Anybody have so good "over the internet" diagnosis here?

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail