Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:59:13 -0700
From:         DaBomb <dabomb@TANJABARNES.COM>
Subject:      Ron's 10 Tips for Burning Man

Dear Folks, Volks, Freaks and Geeks,

I'm kicking this down from Ron, the mayor of VW Bus Camp at Burning Man. Who wants to write up a list "10 Tips for Better Living Through Chemicals"?

Bueller?

BTW, VW Bus Camp's location will be around 7:00 at Literal and Faith (see the map they give you at the gate). Look for all the VW buses and Vanagons. Check out their site: http://www.vwbuscamp.com/

I'm freelancing this year, so ask the Volks to tip you off as to where I may be frolicking. And no, Mike, it's not a freakin' silo. FYI, I'll be working the ice concession stand on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday from 12 - 3 p.m., so be sure to stop by and get your freak flag from me. It's a car flag for the ride home.

Oh, and if anybody has an extra folding cup holder, I trade ya a mean massage for it.

Bueller?

Love & Rockets, DaBomb

------ Forwarded Message From: "Ron Tetirick" <digitaladobe@hotmail.com> To: vwbuscamp@vwbuscamp.com Subject: [VWBusCamp] Ron's 10 Tips for better Playa Living

Hey Everyone,

I thought I would post these 10 tips I've developed over the years for better Playa Living. If anyone else has anything they would like to add, please do so! Thanks - Ron

1. REMEMBER YOUR TICKET! You can forget just about anything and find it on the playa, except your TICKET! So pack your ticket first, I usually put it in an envelope and tape it to the top of my glove box. Many people have arrived on the playa only to remember that their ticket is sitting safely in their sock drawer at home.

2. DRIVE SAFELY- The road to and from the Playa is a treacherous one, drive with extreme caution. Remember your bus will be loaded down and more difficult to stop and maneuver. DO NOT swerve to miss the suicidal bunny rabbits on HWY 447, you will more than likely miss them by going straight anyway. Look out for Cows on the road, Cow vs. Bus the cow will win. Last year a good friend of mine was almost lost her life on the way home from BRC, the car she was riding in was towing a trailer and another car trying to pass her vehicle went across the double yellow line and swerved in front of them to avoid oncoming traffic. Her car slammed on it's brakes and flipped over several times. My friend's injuries were so severe she spent the next 6 months in the hospital and is just now recovering. Obey the speed limits especially in the small towns in the Indian Reservations on 447, the police are out in force even if you can't see them, and you will get a ticket.

3. GAS UP ON THE WAY IN- I recommend filling up your tank in Gerlach on the way in, the lines in Gerlach on the way out of the event are insane.

4. DRY ICE COOLER / REGULAR COOLER - I suggest bringing two coolers, one for dry ice and one for regular, you can put all the stuff you need to stay frozen in the dry ice cooler and transfer it to the regular cooler the day of or the day before you will need it. Go for a bigger more solid piece of dry ice rather than two smaller pieces. Make sure that all the stuff you put into the dry ice cooler is frozen.

5. BE SEEN AT NIGHT- Bring glow sticks or the blinky lights so you can be seen at night. There are a lot of bikes, go karts, art-cars and things that can run into you at night on the playa. So SEE and be SEEN at night. Make sure you have a light for your bike, I have seen some nasty bike collisions on the playa at night. Having a unique light also helps you locate your bike at night after visiting another camp.

6. TAG YOUR STUFF- You might want to make a label for bike or other items that you will take out of camp with our theme camp name and address so that if you loose your stuff (or someone makes off with your bike) there will be a better chance it will be returned. Labels are easy to make on the computer or just buy some blank ones and use a sharpie.

7. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET- Your feet are your friends at Burning Man and you need to take care of them. Plan on wearing shoes, rather than sandals to protect your feet at least some of the time. Right before bed I wash my feet in water with lemon and get them really clean, then I rub them with lotion and put on CLEAN socks, this keeps my feet from drying out and getting cracked. No one likes playa foot, it's painful and gross!

8. STAY HYDRATED- I know this one seems obvious, but remember to always take water with you whenever you leave camp, even if you don't plan on being gone long. Also remember that your body needs Electrolytes as well as water, so plan on drinking juice or a sports drink as well to help supplement those.

9. REDUCE-REUSE-RECYCLE0- This one is sooo important. The easiest thing is to REDUCE- eliminate all the waste before you get to the playa, throw away all the excess packaging from your food, film and batteries. Next REUSE- bring a camelback or nalgene bottle instead of a million disposable water bottles, finally RECYCLE- create 3 separate trash containers, one for burnable trash like paper and dry food leftovers, one for aluminum that can go to recycle camp, and one for trash to take home. This process greatly reduces the amount of trash we will need to take home with us!

10. YOU ARE HERE- Remember, when you are at Burning Man, wherever you are, that's where you are supposed to be. There is no way to see and do everything at the event. Resist the urge to run from one spectacle to another. Take the time to sit down and become a spectacle for someone else.

Hope these help! I CAN"T WAIT TO SEE YOU, and you and you, well you're an ass, but you and you!

------ End of Forwarded Message