Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:43:43 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: stealth camping. Truck stop showers?
Comments: To: Stan Harrison <sharrison@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

Flying J. <http://www.flyingj.com>

Here's what worked for us.

Early AM, late PM. Anytime they're not busy. Get 'Flying J Rewards' card. Fuel. When paying for fuel mention that you'd like a shower. Pay what ever she (they're all 'shes') asks. ($5.00 deposit) Pay attention! She'll tell you which shower. Take receipt and find trucker's lounge. From there, find showers. Find *your* shower. Punch in code on receipt. Take shower. Leave towels in shower. Return to cashier. Return receipt. Get five bucks back.

IF you're polite and friendly and all the things that 'cage' drivers usually aren't, the cashier may find a 'coupon' that is unused by a trucker that purchased over $150 of fuel. If so, the shower will be free. If your luck doesn't swing that way, you'll get charged the going rate. I think that it was six bucks, but I don't really remember. We traveled from Union, Oregon to Diamond, Ohio last month and showered every other day (on the road for 10 days). I paid for showers exactly once. I firmly believe that it's all attitude. The cashier *is* doing you a favor. Let her know that you know and appreciate that.

FWIW, Flying J is the best stealth camping I've found. Park on the outskirts of the restaurant parking lot. Along with all the small parcel carriers (look for the Ford Van with a satellite dish hanging out the passenger side window.). Coffee in the AM. They're like Mickey Ds. Clean. Well maintained. And all laid out about the same. In four thousand miles traveling, I'd drive fifty miles off the route for a Flying J. GOOD truck stops. Davenport, IA was the best. Watched a great thunderstorm from their parking lot. Great folks there. The most unusual was Cokeville, WY. Town of about 500 pop on a secondary route. Full size stop that was brand new. Blew me away.

Can't say enough good things about the chain.

Jim