Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:01:35 +0000
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortinoj@SPEAKEASY.NET>
Subject:      Re: start - won't sart  - solution ( update ) HELP
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net>

mark et al, thanks for the great info yea the bently has only some info, but the list completes the vold.

update below.

1.psi on fuel reg was ok 35psi and no gas from vac line 2.Injectors come on when key is turned on but not cranked. ?? ECU cause foul then pluse when cranked but after go to straight flow. hm???

3.checked voltage on the afm pins 1 and 4 its good

could I have a bad ECU seems i'm floading out and thats why i'm not starting up, BTW I was able to almost get it started the it flooded out, major gas exhaust.

Thanks so very much. I want to fix this this weekend if possible. Joe > -----Original Message----- > From: mark drillock [mailto:drillock@earthlink.net] > Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 06:06 AM > To: fortinoj@SPEAKEASY.NET > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: start - won't sart - solution > > Check the fuel pressure regulator carefully. They can fail in more than > one way. One way that may fit your problem is that they can leak > internally and allow fuel to get sucked down a vacuum hose and flood the > engine. There is a vacuum line from the intake manifold connected to the > pressure regulator that allows the regulator to adjust the fuel pressure > more precisely for the engine's needs. No fuel is ever supposed to be in > that part of the regulator but the internal diaphragm can rupture. Pull > the vacuum line off the regulator and check to see if any fuel comes out > of the small nipple when the engine is cranked. Not even a hint of fuel > should be in the line or that nipple. If there is any the reg should be > replaced. > > Check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge. There is a metal "T" > fitting on the top of the engine just for this purpose. Remove the small > bolt from the up pointing leg of the T and attach the pressure gauge > hose there. I have used a cheap dial type tire gauge for this when I > could not get a fuel pressure gauge. I bought a tire gauge with a hose > on it and cut the end off so it could slip over the T fitting. Keep the > dial as high as possible so no gasoline gets into it. The proper fuel > pressure is around 30-35 psi as spelled out in the Bentley. > > Since you have an 85, my comment about the ECU being known to cause the > injectors to flood constantly may not apply. I'm not saying it can't > happen to the 1.9, only that the cases I have seen were all on 2.1 ECUs. > > > Mark > > > Joseph Fortino wrote: > > > > thanks this will be my next step for Saturday, BTW both my relays click > > and i've mated the ISV connector heads together to by-pass the box. > > (thinking after this what about the fuel pressure reg > > > > Joe > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: mark drillock [mailto:drillock@earthlink.net] > > > Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 04:40 AM > > > To: fortinoj@SPEAKEASY.NET > > > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Subject: Re: start - won't sart - solution > > > > > > Check the injector spray pattern while you are cranking the engine. > > > There should be no spray with just the key on and then it should spray > > > in pulses as you crank the engine with the starter. Page 24.56 of the > > > latest Bentley covers testing the injectors in 86+ models. > > > > > > You can pull the 2 injectors on one side of the engine pretty easily > > > while leaving the wires and fuel hoses connected. Remove the bolt > > > between the 2 injectors. Then pull the injectors out of their holes. > > > Then have someone turn on the key while you watch the injector tips for > > > the proper behavior as described above. If they spray constantly when > > > the key is on then the ECU is likely bad as this is one of the ways it > > > is known to fail. If they spray a pulse on and off only while the engine > > > is cranking the problem may be somewhere else. > > > > > > Be careful and have a fire extinguisher ready just to be safe. Only test > > > this way for a few seconds. > > > > > > Mark > > > > > > Joseph Fortino wrote: > > > > > > > > guys I've done the following and still have not start. > > > > > > > > 1. cleaned all grounds good > > > > 2. new fuel filter last one was dirty > > > > 3. checked the fuel pump have pressure. > > > > 4. replaced temp2 sensor. > > > > 5. new plugs wires and plugs since mine were a bit used. > > > > 6. looked at ECU for burnt parts found nothing. ( but maybe it would'nt show ) > > > > the prob by looking at it. > > > > 7. checked spark on all 4 and have good spark. > > > > 8. cleaned distro cap. > > > > 9. my hall is semi new > > > > > > > > some reason it just cranks and does'nt fire up, poor thing drips gas outta > > > > the pipes after. could my injectors be bad or maybe my ECU took a dump, but > > > > i'm tring like hell to not swap it until i know its bad. > > > > > > > > help elp help elp :) next place i might hit will be for beer so i can > > > > sit and just drink in the dark > > > > > > > >