Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:54:58 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      80-84 sliding door latch "fix"

There is a simple way to "fix" it so that the knob stays up. I forgot about it when I replied earlier though I have done it a couple of times.

Remove the black knob by unscrewing it. Buy some clear plastic tubing at the hardware store. You need less than an inch, they may just give it to you but it may cost .30 for a foot. It should fit freely over the shaft part of the knob but not over the knob itself. Cut the tubing slightly longer than the smooth part of the shaft, just overlapping some of the threads. Screw the knob back into place with the tubing on the shaft. The tubing will slightly compress and now the knob will stay up due to friction of the plastic tube against the door.

Mark

mark drillock wrote: > > Sorry, it is broken. The little black knob is supposed to stay up by > itself. The 80-84 models are prone to this failure. A tiny spring breaks > and then the little black knob won't stay up and the door locks itself > every time you close it. The whole latch assembly is riveted together so > I don't know how to fix it. I buy working ones at the junkyard and > replace them. The later models don't seem to fail this way but they > won't fit the early door. > > Mark > > Jessup Coffin wrote: > > ... > > Now though, I'm curious, is there anyway to make it possible to open the > > sliding door without fiddling with the black knob every time? guessing that > > it's some kind of child proofing lock, but it's also mostly me proof. grin. > > 82 vanagon. > >