Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:42:27 -0400
From:         Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Hoses - Condelli
Comments: To: Alan Pickersgill <alanpick@MAGMA.CA>

Hi Alan,

On my 90 Westy both steel lines were badly corroded and the PS fluid was a brown muck. It amazed me the stuff actually pushed the PS rack. Anyway, the worst part of the job is simply removing the old lines. I needed a torch at the rack to be able to heat up the old connection to allow it to turn off. I found the engine end much easier.

I bought a return low pressure hose from a local hydraulic shop. Costs about $40. There is no need for any special ends for the return line. I just used adjustable clamps.

I bought Frank's hose off eBay when he was auctioning them off. It is very good quality, the exact length, and the ends are a perfect fit to the Vanagon PS rack and the PS pump short feed pipe.

I ran both the feed pipe and return line at the same time and held them in position with plastic ties. Running these hoses is the easiest part of the job. I can't imagine why anyone would opt for using steel pipes again. It must be a real PITA to run them under the van.

Hope this helps.

- Laurence

---------------------------------------- Laurence Smith Hamilton, Ontario, Canada 90 Westy (fanumbos) 87 GL / 91 Subie 2.2 ----------------------------------------