Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:50:49 -0400
From:         "sam.cooks" <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Idle Stabilizer Control Unit, 1.9l Digijet, 2 or 3 models

Volks,

There are two or maybe three Idle Stabilizer Control units for 1.9l WBX vanagons. Bentley, p. 24.19, states that model 251 906 083, green, is for 83-85 models in Californian and Canada and for the 49 states for 83-84. It also states that model 321 906 083, black, is for the 49 states for 85 models.

There is also a tan 251 906 083A available. It replace the green one on my 84 and cured all my mysterious FI lurching cutoff problems that had plagued my van for years before I found the list several years ago. At least one list vendor indicates that this model is good for all 1.9l Digijet systems.

I recently acquired my 3rd running vanagon, an 85 Westy Weekender, and suspect that the Idle Stabilizer Unit, a black 321 906 083 model is bad. Van sure has operated better and lurching has almost stopped with it removed and plugs connected. About three weeks of running this way. (But van had been sitting quite a while and it may just be getting cleaned out of gunk.)

Can I run this 85 van with the tan 251 906 083A that is in my 84 if the black unit is bad. I plan to put the black one back tomorrow and see if the symptoms reappear.

What is the difference between these units? Anything significant?

Sam Walters Baltimore 89 Syncro GL 84 Vanagon, original owner 85 Westy Weekender, new van to me, 9k miles on new engine, first camper parts van and too many other parts in a garage