Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:23:54 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fixed Propane Fridge

In early August the propane part of my van's fridge stopped working 3 days from home. I have now taken the fridge out and cleaned out the dust from the fins and the crud from the combustion chamber. Put it back in and it still did not light. bummer

So I took it out again and started tracing the problem:

1) propane? Yes, stove works 2) correct regulator pressure? - didn't check it - I assumed the regulator was OK 3) Tried to blow through the fridge's propane tubes, and even with the by-pass button pushed no air getting through. mmmmmmmm

I got out my fire extinguisher and then part, by part, by part, I took apart the propane lines that are on top of the fridge and checked for blockage. I found some crud just before the propane On-Off switch (on top of the fridge), but not enough to block the propane, and after cleaning out that crud still no air would go through the system.

I disconnected the small propane line from the top of the fridge and from the combustion chamber. Full flow of air through it. Full flow of air through the ON/OFF valve (on top of the fridge) when I had the by-pass valve open. mmmmmm

I unscrewed the propane jet from the combustion chamber and held it up to the light ---- no light, no hole ??? I hunted up my carb cleaner and sprayed that in both ends of the jet to clean it out --- Oh yes, now a nice TINY round hole (don't use metal in the hole as the jet is brass and easily destroyed). I also used carb cleaner on the on/off valve to clean that.

I hooked a flex hose up to the van's propane feed and to the fridge (while the fridge was out, and I unscrewed the combustion chamber and held it to the side so I could check the flame.

I hooked it all back up and it lit first time, immediately. I'm glad that I'm not afraid of taking things apart.

I have more photos of the combustion chamber and the flame at http://photos.yahoo.com/mwstebbins in the Westy Fridge folder.

Also what I learned is that I can turn the Propane elect. switch off after the fridge has been lit, this may be a good idea if I'm not in the van as if the propane goes out and the elect. switch is ON, it will continue to click (but the propane will shut off (due to the heat sensor). If I'm in the van (at night) I'll leave the elect switch on, so that I'll hear the click, click, click if the propane goes off.

This whole procedure was just common sense, unscrew this that and the other and check it one stage at a time. If you have any questions please ask, If you are reading this from the archives and the photos are no longer there, please write and, if I still have them, I'll put them back up. Enjoy, Malcolm (now a propane fridge self-styled, shade-tree expert).