Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:16:45 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Transplant complication

There are 3 shafts that go into the torque converter. The smallest one goes all the way through the final drive and trans to the oil pump at the very far end of the trans. It needs to be seated in the pump. there is a picture in Bentley about how it should and should not look. It make take some fiddling to be sure it is seated in that pump. The part in the TC that it engages is fixed, at the very back. the next larger shaft is the one that actually provides drive from the engine into the transmission. It also needs to be seated properly in the trans, but is less likely to get loose or pull out on that end. In the TC, it engages in a part that is sort of loose in the TC. This may be where you are having trouble. The largest shaft is fixed to the final drive housing and engages a part in the TC that is also sort of loose. I'm trying to remember how I put mine together. I know I had the whole trans assembly turned up vertically with the final drive pointing up, to put the final drive together with the trans. I can't remember if I put the TC on at that time. It would surely be easier in that orientation. But I can't imagine that you can't do it with it horizontal. You are certainly not the first person to have this happen. I expect you will just need to do a bit of playing with it. You might try getting it in place and giving it a quick 90-180 degree turn to try to get those moveable parts to fall into place. And turning the thing back and forth also to get the various splines lined up. There are no special tools involved. I wired my TC in place once I got it mounted so it wouldn't slide off. After I got the trans snugged up to the engine I removed the wire. Also note there is a tricky seal involved where the TC meets the final drive housing. Apparently it is easily damaged. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

Edward

At 11:32 PM 8/24/2003, you wrote: >I am putting a new engine in my '84 Vanagon with automatic >transmission. When I went to see how easy it would be to turn the torque >converter for aligning it with the torque plate, the torque converter >assembly slipped off the spindles. > >How hard is it to get the torque converter assembly back on >correctly? Can I do this without special tools, etc. > >John Lauterbach >Macon, GA >'84 7-passenger