Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:33:53 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Fixed Propane Fridge

On 27 Aug 2003 at 13:23, Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

<snip> > Also what I learned is that I can turn the Propane > elect. switch off after the fridge has been lit, this > may be a good idea if I'm not in the van as if the > propane goes out and the elect. switch is ON, it will > continue to click (but the propane will shut off (due > to the heat sensor). If I'm in the van (at night) > I'll leave the elect switch on, so that I'll hear the > click, click, click if the propane goes off.

Are you saying your fridge will attempt to re-light if the flame goes out? I've never heard this before, but mine has only gone out while driving, so I wouldn't have heard it. What year is your van? I pulled my fridge two years ago and cleaned it out but it seemed to still have occasional difficulty lighting. This past weekend I never did get it going, and gave up since we were only out one night (it just popped, so it was getting gas, but never lit). Previous trip 3 weeks before it started right up, and stayed lit for 3 days and 14+ hours of driving, even on 3 hours of rough gravel roads. Truly a tempermental beast. I seem to have better luck if I run it on 12V for a while, then attempt to start it on propane, my thinking being that the heat from the 12V helps to cause convection and draw more air in for starting.

Thanks for the write up, we're leaving again Friday for the weekend, so I will probably try to light it before we go... No time to pull the fridge again :-(

-- Shawn Wright http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright '88 Westy 375k '85 Jetta D 263k '85 Jetta TD 482k (retired) ~This message sent by Pegasus Mail, the safe E-Mail alternative~ "Friends don't let friends use Outlook"