Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:57:08 -0700
From:         Leon <korkwood@WSHOST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front disc replacement - '85 Vanagon
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@pobox.com>

I wouldn't call it major surgery but it will take some time. And it may become one in the process. You don't need to buy any special tools but will need to come up with some aluminum or brass pieces(drifts) to drive bearing races out. Heavy hammer. May also replace bearings at the same time if suspect. Not very expensive if you don't buy from dealer. Try ImportedCarParts.com Remove brake caliper and use metal hanger to suspend it, not by brakeline. Once hub nut removed whole rotor should come out. Remove and clean all bearings in solvent. Check for damage. If ok install in new rotors using some tubing as drift. Will need hitemp diskbrake grease. New grease seals also. Before doing the rotor job lift up one front wheel at a time and rock holding at bottom and top. You will probably find more or less play in bearings and suspension. My friend was visiting me recently and i lifted one wheel up. There was huge play in upper arm bushings. He never knew or suspected it. But tires showing bad wear already. Leon 85 Subwagen Westy

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/