Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:10:05 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fixed Propane Fridge
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

I just took a few more digi-pics and put them on http://photos.yahoo.com/mwstebbins These are photos of the controls (toggle switches) front panel (modified) and the controls on the top of the fridge. I did NOT change the wiring at all, just the switches. See more comments below:

> --- Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA> wrote:> > > > Are you saying your fridge will attempt to > > > re-light if the flame goes out? I've > > > never heard this before,

On my van (91 CDN westy) I #1) turn on the propane at the tank. #2) flip the DC switch to "on". This automatically starts the Piezo clicking and the red light flickering. #3) Turn the gas on at the fridge. #4) I press the by-pass switch to get the propane through, thus over-riding the flame sensor telling the unit that there is no heat (i.e. no flame). As soon as the gas lights, I hold the by-pass button for 6 seconds (to allow the heat sensor the heat up and signal to the unit that there's heat (flame) down there. #5) set the thermostat. #6 wait for the ice cubes :-) I rarely touch the air pump.

I have owned an 81 USA, and 86 French, and now a 91 CDN (all) Westies. and Yes they all differ with regards the fridge controls.

On my 91, If the flame goes out, the piezo (and red light) again starts, automatically. Infrequently, I will hear this in the middle of the night and I know that the fridge has gone out.

> Interesting. So why can't the piezo do this when > lighting the fridge normally > instead of having to repeatedly click the air pump > knob?

On my 91 CDN, the air pump ONLY pumps air, to overcome the combustion chamber being flooded with Propane and no Oxygen.

> Or perhaps this was an improvement on later models?

Don't know.

> Do you light yours by clicking the > the air pump knob (pushing it all the way in)?

No, The DC switch controls the Piezo and is wired into the heat sensor: HEAT = no piezo. NO HEAT = piezo. Hard wired.

> I would love to have a > repeating piezo, similar to my home gas stove, to > speed up the lighting process...

When my van is forsale, you can buy the van to get the fridge :-) Don't forget the photo. M