Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:41:19 -0400
From:         Jessup Coffin <bridgetthevw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      loss of ooomph

Hey all,

I'm once more in a quandry, have my vanagon with an 87 golf gti SOHC engine in it, normally this pushes my van quite happily, but at the moment, not so much. It's acting much more like the old diesal. If I push the throttle all the way to the floor the engine starts choking on not enough fuel or air. Go up a hill and the van will slow down to around 20 Mph. Pulled most of the car apart yesterday, and couldn't quite solve it. I'm pretty sure it's not the fuel, since I pulled the spark plugs and they look like they've been running pretty fuel rich. Exhaust is coming out, I've pulled both the catalytic converter and the muffler no plugs or blockages, so that isn't it. I noticed that at the air intake there is a thermostatically controlled intake, but no thermostat, and one of the holes plugged. I opened the second line up and cleaned it out, but it's still not running right. Air filter is a little dirty, but not that bad. Fuel filter is fine. Didn't find a breather filter anywhere, are there any other filters I don't know about? I'm dumbfounded, have no idea really where to go from here.

Thanks in advance to those that can help.

Jessup Bridget, 82 vanagon

_________________________________________________________________ Enter for your chance to IM with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige using MSN Messenger http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/imastar