Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:22:44 -0700
From:         Martin Haggblom-Payne <martinhp@PIPELINE.COM>
Subject:      2 questions from  a new list member

Greetings amazing Vanagon community. I joined the list 4 weeks ago and this is my first posting/question. I've been very impressed by the wealth of knowledge and helpful people on the list.

I recently bought my first water-cooled vw, a 1984 westy full camper that seems to be great. PO really babied it and all is stock with rebuilt engine, new clutch, fuel system, CV's, radiator & hoses, ignition switch & wire, oxygen sensor, and catalytic conv. all replaced and well documented in last 30K miles (196K total).

I've gotten very familiar with the van in the last four weeks, all works, camping gear is great, etc and we're embarking on our first family trip this weekend to Big Sur.

I'm getting excited about personalizing the van, however and want to begin the process so have 2 immediate questions, one very specific and one general.

1. I found a set of 2 halogen lights this weekend at IKEA that I'd like to put in the camper for extra light when camping. They use 10 watt bulbs and are designed for under-counter or recessed lighting in a cabinet. They plug into the wall using a transformer that converts 120v 60hz to an output of 12V AC 1.67A 20VA. My question is, will these work in the vanagon if I hardwire them to the 12V system(w/out the transformer). The set was only $9.95 so no big deal either way but they would be cool to have in the westy.

2. general question-sure to create debate. I have several mods in mind for the Westy but am uncertain about the balance between stock and custom. I'm planning on keeping the Westy for some time but may want to upgrade at some point. Does keeping entirely true to stock increase value or do custom mods i.e., solar system, custom upholstery, custom paneling increase or at least not decrease value?

Thanks,

Martin