Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:47:24 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fixed Propane (profane?) Fridge
Comments: cc: swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA, RAlanen@AOL.COM

I would consider a thorough disassembly and cleaning of the burner system a last resort, especially when a much simpler solution may be all that is called for.

Frank is correct that compressed air blown into the lower drain opening will help loosen accumulated crud in the flame chamber, and may force condensation out too. I've had good luck removing the intake/exhaust vent from the exterior of the van and alternately applying a shop-vac to the ends of the two corrugated metal tubes found there (slip a white nylon stocking from your lingerie drawer over the end of your vac, to allow you to see all the crud you're catching).

Listmember and avant-garde Vanagon filmmaker Steve Gough (www.emriver.com/rickvan.htm) recommends performing these two tasks SIMULTANEOUSLY: toot some high-pressure air into the drain while also applying the shop-vac to the exhaust and intake tubes. This seems to me the perfect solution to extract the rust flakes, dead bugs, and spider webs that can collect down there and cause lighting problems.

Perhaps performed annually or semi-annually, this simple procedure should keep the burner system clean and operative. Of course, more stubborn fridges may require more aggressive means, but try the easy solutions first.

"OK, I'll leave it at that since I've already gone on for far too long about something I don't know a whole lot about ..."

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"

--- Frank Condelli wrote: > > > Shawn, you need to use air from an air compressor > to blow air > > into the drain at the bottom of the fridge. 100 ~ > 120 lbs. This will clear out > > the combustion chamber and tubes... > > Frank: I'm not as optimistic about this as you are. > If one looks at my photos one can see all of the CRUD > in the combustion chamber. If one just blows air in > there, one may disturb the crud. Now that disturbance > MAY cure the problem temporarily, but it MAY make > things worse as the crud may land in/on the burner > grill or the air hole or piezo lighter stem. IMHO one > should clean out the chamber and the jet and clean off > the piezo lighter probe and the heat sensor. This is > a DIY project. If I can do it, anyone can do it.