Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:54:34 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dr. Diesel meets Mr. Harley
Comments: To: Tromper <tromper@comcast.net>

Ha! Excellent suggestions!

The Martha-Stewert possibilities are endless. With a lovely pine-scent, my camper van would always smell like the great northwoods, even when I'm only commuting to work ...

--- Tromper <tromper@comcast.net> wrote: > Since the olfactory senses of that kind of fellow, > and interior > designers are very sensitive I suggest you use some > "Floral" Scented > lamp oil in your fuel mix for the interim. This > should not only > help your power and mileage a bit, it will also > improve the odor > of your exhaust and all who ride motorcycles in it. > I don't know what effect the floral scent will have > on your injectors > but the vanilla didn't do anything detectable to > mine. > > Tromper > 82 Dieselfant II > Formerly Vanilla, now Gas scented exhaust > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List > [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf > Of Jeffrey Earl > Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 11:32 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Dr. Diesel meets Mr. Harley > > > As some of you may or may not know, Milwaukee is > currently hosting the 100th birthday of > Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, with 200,000 to 300,000 > riders and spectators expected to attend. So streets > and highways in this entire part of the state are > crawling with these over-chromed and under-muffled > mechanical anachronisms. Many of their portly and > unwashed owners apparently secretly suffer from > chronic testosterone deficiencies, for which they > compensate by needlessly twisting the throttle at > stoplights, and roaring around town, weaving thru > traffic. > > This morning on my daily freeway commute in my 1983 > diesel Westfalia, a routine check of my mirror > revealed a Harley rider approaching from behind, > presumably on his way to the barbarian festivities. > As > luck would have it, we soon began ascending a hill > and > my 1.6L diesel briefly went into her James Bond > smoke-screen mode, laying down a pretty good trail > of > soot. The leather-bound biker immediately changed > lanes to avoid the hazy billows of smoke, and the > clattery 'blap-blap-blap' of his rusty steed soon > grew > even louder as we crested the hill and he finally > passed me. > > As he went by I saw that he wore an old-timey > leather > cowboy duster with furred collar, a greasy red > bandanna, and an incongruous pair of > fluorescent-green-framed mirrored sunglasses. The > big > engineering boots and lack of helmet told me that > he, > perhaps quite rightly, placed more value on his > yellowed toenails then the contents of his cranium. > As > the two-wheeled desperado pulled back into the lane > ahead of me, he looked back over his shoulder and > very > theatrically pinched his nose, the universal sign > for > "phew, you stink." > > I considered this for a moment and acknowledged > that, > at least momentarily, he was quite correct, then > replied by pasting my face into the windshield and > making a big show of plugging my ears with my > fingers > while grimacing and shaking my head. > > He stiffened in the saddle and seemed to falter a > bit > as he glared at me in his own mirror, his ten little > piggies conferring amongst themselves to interprete > my > gesture and formulate a response. Finally, > frustrated > at having run out of clever visual retorts, he > delivered to me the internationally recognized > middle-fingered salute, and with a flatulant roar > rode > off into the sunrise. > > I don't know who got the last or best word in this > little morning exchange on the highway, but at least > until after the weekend, I'll be sticking to the > back > roads ... > > Jeffrey Earl > 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" > > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site > design software > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com