Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:37:05 -0400
From:         Wolfgang Ziegler <ziegler@PRINCETON.OILFIELD.SLB.COM>
Subject:      Introduction and brief vacation report

Hello List,

I want to introduce myself and take the opportunity to thank all the contributors - I have been on and off the list to look for help in the past.

My wife and I both grew up in Germany - VWs had been part of our lives. Early documents show me roaming around my Dad's ragtop in the late 50's. Much later we owned a 76 Bus (an ambulance converted to camper), 79 Transporter and Vanagons since 86 - before that a 68 Bug, 73 Squareback, infamous K70 and a Mini Cooper (only briefly, but it was graet fun too)

The vans were all 'custom campers' (plywood, mineral wool etc...) - we never owned a Westfalia. Currently we own a 88 Vanagon and use a removable 'camping row' which replaces the middle seat when we go on trips. It contains storage behind driver, small fridge and a sink with 5gal tanks. There were several issues recently with the van - our spring trip ended at exit1 of the NJTP when the clutch went. While the engine was out I replaced the starter, as many coolant hoses as I could still get and many other parts. It also needed a new exhaust system, and front blower (great service from Bus Depot - thanks).

And off we went on a trip to Maine: 2300 miles following routes we took about 19 years ago in a 'slightly modified' Squareback. We were a bit disappointed about the coastal area which really changed, I remember driving through Freeport without having the crowds... we continued up North and followed the Canadien Border to Holden, then crossed over to Mooshead Lake and spend several days in state parks with beautiful lakes great swimming and hiking. The loop was completed through White Mountain National Forest back to I95 and down to New Jersey. 2 weeks of camping this is how we like vacationing- like most of the people on this list I assume!

Back home we started thinking about a 'younger model van' because we had broken down three times on recent trips, down time and cost of maintaining the 88GL had been high in the past couple of years (NJ emission, radiator, injectors (bad gas), idle stabil., clutch, exhaust system, starter). So we test-drove a Eurovan weekender, but I must say I was not the same, being quite tall made sitting not as comfortable and almost impossible to turn around to get in the back - I wonder if other list members had similar experiences. The Eurovan just didn't have the same 'feel'.

Still undecided in NJ, Wolfgang

79 Buggy 88GL Brazos 02 Jesitta