Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:45:41 -0700
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Advice please
Comments: To: Brian Dipert <bdipert@PACBELL.NET>

The starter issue is a common one in older vehicles. First thing to do (after disconnecting the battery) is to clean *every* connection involved: at starter, at battery, at ignition switch. You might end up replacing the solenoid and/or starter but the clean up is the first place to start.

Reported oil temps are difficult to interpret given the variability of sensors, where the sensors are placed, and gauges. However engine noise is not, as Martha Stewart would say, "a good thing."

Were you hearing a real "tapping" noise, suggesting something mechanical, or were you hearing pre-detonation (pinging)?

Pinging sounds something like someone is dropping marbles into an empty 1-pound coffee can (I guess they don't make 1-pound coffee cans anymore, do they?). If you have an older engine with a little carbon build-up (higher compression ratios) and are climbing a hill in a heavily-loaded van on a hot day, a van that maybe doesn't have "spot on" ignition timing, them I wouldn't be surprised that it would ping. Pinging is hard on an engine and not to be taken lightly.

You might want to have the ignition timing checked and perhaps do a compression test on the engine. --------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Young '81 Vanagon Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia --------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Dipert" <bdipert@PACBELL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 7:00 PM Subject: Advice please