Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:55:38 -0700
From:         Kriss De Jong <banshee@KILLERBANSHEE.COM>
Subject:      Favorite repair shop in the SF Bay Area?

I'm at the point where I really can't go back to the repair shop that I've been using since I got my 91 Vanagon. They aren't being very detail oriented and I've had a couple of things that I was sure were wrong, they said nothing was and when I brought it somewhere else, it was indeed wrong. And they replaced my heads and put it back together without doing other agreed upon work...etc.

I love the guys down at Volks Café, but can't always trek all the way down there, so I am hoping that someone has found a shop they really like in Oakland/Emeryville/Berkeley or San Francisco (in that order of preference). I live in West Oakland.

I was in an accident in July (80E just off the bridge (highway), we were at a stop and the small sedan that rear ended us was going about 40 or 45. It was bad enough that they insisted on removing me on a backboard...I fortunately have the badass tubesteel bumpers or it would have been much much worse, but it still wiped out my transmission and exhaust systems when the car that hit us slid down underneath the bumper.)...so it has been repaired, but it isn't acting right. The electrical system is acting funky...radio is on when I come out in the morning (with no face plate) always reset to the bottom of the dial and I can hear voltage fluxuation when I unlock the doors or turn my drivers seat around (powered)...really need to get it looked at...the breaks and acceleration just aren't right either.

We were supposed to have driven it up to Vancouver and back on a short west coast tour...had to do it in a rented RampVan (grand caravan with gimp gear built in). Reminded me how much I love my vanagon!!! We are doing a huge trip over the holidaze...Oakland>KC>Iowa>South Texas>Arizona and back...so I need to get it in tip top shape.

TIA, Kriss