Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:52:04 -0400
From:         Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      planning for the inevitable(trip preparation)

Hi folks, Finally straightened out the oil pressure warning system this weekend (PO had reversed the the high and low pressure signal wires- no wonder I wasn't inclined to trust it). No more random flashing, buzzers, etc- pretty satisfying. Running Castrol semi-sythetic multigrade now, seems to hold better than the 20w50, and I will probably go full synthetic on the next change. In trying to figure out the oil pressure warning system, I did a lot of reading (articles on the boston engine, van-again, volks cafe, vanagon.com sites), and started thinking about what I'd do if/when I get a true oil pressure alarm. First diagnostic test, assuming the senders and wiring are in order, seems like swapping the oil for a heavier grade, like 10w40. If the alarms stop, then that indicates your clearances are failing and you're looking at a rebuild. You can't stay with the heavy-weight oil because it won't be there for non-tropical cold starts, and you'll be causing more damage. However, what about this scenario: You're on a long trip, driving 5-6 hours a day, in temperate climates. The low pressure alarms come, and a mid- trip rebuild or engine swap isn't a option. So you change the oil to heavy-weight, and you drive like you're breaking in a new engine until it is fully warmed up. Your oil-pressure (hopefully) stays good, and you've bought time and miles. How does this sound? As you may have guessed, I'm headed out on a long trip in about a week and am trying to plan and prepare as best I can. Trip will start in the Northeast, head out to Madison WI, then south to Texas, looping back home again through the south. thanks, Matt Sutton 88GL