Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:56:40 -0700
From:         Adam Behle <tikiman2@COX.NET>
Subject:      Bilsteins in Baja?

Hi, just got back from a trip to Punta San Jose in Baja in our 87 2wd Westy. The last stretch to the water is a 24 mile rough dirt road with a lot of washboard and embedded rock. The van handled quite well with the 6 month old Bilsteins and stock springs, but I bottomed out once. We averaged about 20 mph. On the way back yesterday, I took it a bit slower as things seemed a bit bumpier. I looked under the van to find the left front shock hanging out of the control arm-the bolt had sheared off, or more likely had come undone. While looking for the gremlin in the suspension, I touched the yellow case of the rear shock and it burned my finger-it was smoking hot from all the abuse. Then I felt my friend's Bilstein in their Pathfinder to find that it was slightly warm. Going down the line I checked another friend's Toyota with Monroe Sensatracs and they were only slightly warm. I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but should my shocks be getting this hot? Or is that to be expected with a loaded Westy? I wonder how long they will last under those conditions. I also wanted to see if anyone had used different springs in their 2wd vans to better off road performance (Steve Schwenk springs? Are they still available?). Any advice to smooth out the bumps is appreciated! Thanks in advance, Adam