Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:15:26 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Auto Transmission Trouble...

Hmmm.

1. The linkage could bind and not let the throttle close. That would cause the engine not to return to idle.

2. It sounds like you are saying that when you are going 40 or 50 and let off the gas, the van is slowing down like a stick shift would. The AT should partly freewheel in this situation, but the engine will probably not go all the way down to idle. It may drop 1000-1500 rpms though. I don't have a tach in my 86, so don't know how much exactly.

To test the first one: When it does this, put it in N and see if the engine races or at least stays above idle. It should drop to idle in N, even when you are rolling along at 40-50 mph.

If it is really acting like a MT and slowing down the van, there could be internal problems in the trans. Does it downshift to 2nd and 1st as you come to a stop? Can you feel those downshifts? You really shouldn't be able to.

I went into adjusting my throttle linkage once to try to get the kick down to work. I basically followed Bentley but then had to interpolate a little with the adjusting at the gas pedal end and the throttle end. I think I was dealing with cable stretch, but I got it so that it was in kick down when the pedal was on the floor, and then went from there. Took a little trial and error.

Edward

At 09:51 PM 9/1/2003, you wrote: >Hello Everyone, >I have two question. First is...My Auto Transmission is not going down >to idle when i let off of the gas. It is acting as if i am driving a >stick, like when your engine slows your van down. I looked at the >linkage and nothing really seems out of adjustment. But the bentley is >not real clear on how the throttle arm on the tranny should look when >you are not pushing the accelerator,pushing and full >throttle..Everything on mine seems ok. The only other things that i ran >into is my throttle position switch is toast. It always has >continuity...idle...part throttle and full throttle. Would this make >the engine not go back to idle when i let off of the gas when say i am >above...40? >I know it controls fuel mixture as well as a few other things >but..would this have anything to do with my trans problem? >Also...does anyone have a good used throttle switch they would >sell...it's for a 89 2.1 liter. Money is a little tight now and could >really use a cheap fix right now. >Thanks all, >jesse >89 carat >86 scirocco