Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:42:16 -0700
From:         jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: sticking lifter cure?

I think this is my problem, too: I just replaced the head on my '80 Westy (aircooled). It had sat for quite awhile with the oil drain plug out. Now that I have it all back together, it has a nice loud click sound (I am pretty sure it's that's a lifter sound).

I don't think (hope) it's a rod knocking, but it's more of a click.

Hmm, wonder if there is a site around with the various VW failure sounds?

Also, does a thicker oil tend to make this problem better or worse?

Thanks, Jon

-- Jon Kenneke, General Manager Kenneke Communications - http://www.kenneke.com PO Box 3126 - Albany, OR 97321-0702 Radio Takena KTK - http://www.radiotakena.org