Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:11:09 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: squeal and power steering
Comments: To: Dan Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>

Most likely a loose belt - low fluid levels will result in a continuous squeal. I've had both occur on mine over the years. If you haven't flushed the system, now might be the time. A quart or so is enough, just remove the return line from the tank and feed it into a container. Crank the engine until reservoir is almost empty, then stop, remove filter and clean in solvent. Dry it off, re-install & top off tank with new ATF. (or simply remove tank and clean the whole works in solvent.). Continue cranking until fluid from return is same colour as new ATF. The colour of my old stuff was a dark rusty brown...

-- Shawn Wright http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright '88 Westy 375k '85 Jetta D 263k '85 Jetta TD 482k (retired) ~This message sent by Pegasus Mail, the safe E-Mail alternative~ "Friends don't let friends use Outlook"