Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:14:26 -0700
From:         Doug Demarest <dougdemarest@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      persistent stalling-- Squamish BC

Hey List,

I'm on my way down Alaska and I'm hoping someone can suggest a fix to my problem, which is currently preventing me from leaving the handicap parking spot I pushed my 86 Vanagon 2.1 uphill into.

Today's history: I stalled the van at a stop sign this morning and it refused to start for several minutes. I gave it too much gas and thought it was flooded. It eventually ran long enough to pull over to the side. It will start and run for a few seconds if I let it idle (more put-put idling than ususal), up to say 30 seconds or more if I make it race. Either way, it always ends up stalling. I looked for disconnected hoses and didnt see any, but I don't really know exactly where I'm looking for.

Week's history: Not sure how releveant, but the alternator light has been coming on at low RPM (simultaneous with the OXS light--is that normal?). I did what trouble shooting I knew how, and don't believe it to be a short or loose belt. At any rate, the light isn't on that much and the battery seems to be fully charged (reads 12.5 volts, cranks hard, etc.).

Any suggestions of what to try would be very much appreciated.

Please p-mail as I am at the public library using a web browser to view mail and set to NOMAIL.

Thanks, Doug Demarest 86 Vgon home is where the Van is: Alaska, Minnesota, Utah, Washington, Chile