Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Sep 2003 18:00:43 -0400
From:         David Maurio <maurio11@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Coolant leak questions

Since I put the tach in I ran a couple of tests on my coolant leak problem.

I followed the Bentley instructions, parked the van on an incline, front of van about 4" higher than back. Opened the front bleeder valve and the rear bleeder valve, ran the van at 2000 rpm until coolant started flowing freely from front. Closed front valve, waited about 10 minutes and still nothing from rear bleeder valve, (both coolant hoses below the van were hot, and so was the hose that the rear bleeder valve is on) so I removed my penny from the throttle and let it go back to idle, as soon as it went down from 2000rpm I watched the coolant level in the expansion tank start to skyrocket! Still nothing from the rear bleeder valve. It started overflowing from the top of the expansion tank, there's a little nubbin at the very top of the expansion tank which I suspect is a vent, and that's where the coolant leak is coming from. This all happened within about a minute of dropping the rpm's from 2k to idle... The coolant was bubbling as I watched it rush back into the coolant tank.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks, David / NJ 85 Wolfsberg Westy "Beatrix" http://home.comcast.net/~maurio11/index.htm