Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:15:22 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Canoe rack for Westy?

Just returned from a weekend trip with a borrowed 17' Coleman canoe on the roof of our '88 Westy. Seems to fit fine, but I would not want to continue this practice much longer on rough roads - the extra weight increases the amount of rubbing the poptup does on the roof. (I already have worn through the paint on part of the rear edge).

Any recommendations for a suitable rack that is supported by the rain gutters, but still allows easy poptop operation? Preferably low profile (2" or less above top) or quick release design to avoid overheight ferry fees (which start at 84").

Also, I've seen someone on the list with a solution for fixing sagging rear springs using plastic discs. Is this method possible on the front also? Any other solutions for increasing ride height on 2wd Westies? We located a new camping spot this weekend which requires crossing about 12" of water, and following a rocky creek bed for about 1/4 mile. Although I could avoid contact most of the way, entering and exiting the creek caused spare tire carrier to hit, and possibly exhaust at rear. If I could add 1-2" I think this would help. I have KYB shocks all around, but the front has always seemed softer than the rear, and loaded with gear, we lose at least 3" of height.

ps: Need to pull the gas tank this week and clean out the crud, if anyone has pointers to archives or web articles, please let me know. I've seen them before but don't recall where/when...

Thanks!

pps: Thanks to the new owners of a Blue Westy enroute to Pachena Bay on Friday, who stopped to check on us when we lost an alternator belt near Nitinat Falls. I doubt they're on the list, but you never know... :-)

-- Shawn Wright http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright '88 Westy 375k '85 Jetta D 263k '85 Jetta TD 482k (retired) ~This message sent by Pegasus Mail, the safe E-Mail alternative~ "Friends don't let friends use Outlook"