Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:28:13 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Question on WV camper
Comments: To: pascal@guignabaudet.net
              Pascal Guignabaudet on Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:36:07 +0100)

At most outside temperatures <20C the Diesels need both functional glow plugs and timing advance to cold start. The first and easiest thing to check if starting is hard are the glow plugs and relay.

If hard starting persists, likely your timing is slightly off, (re-time, can set just slightly advanced), and/or your compression is a bit low (On an older engine this is usually due to worn rings, on a new rebuild the rings may not have set, the cylinder was not honed correctly, or the cylinder-piston gap is too big, and the block is due for a bore and oversize cylinders).

One way to improve starting is to disable the glow plug temperature sensor, so the glow plugs always go on before cranking. They will still go off when the engine has started, but on a direct hot restart they will go on even though the prechamber is too hot. Best is to wait a bit before re-starting from hot. This may decrease life of the plugs a bit. (The newer plugs for the 1.9l engine are more durable than the old 1.6l). For details see: www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/engine/glowplugs/glowplugs.html

/Martin

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:36:07 +0100 From: Pascal Guignabaudet <pascal@guignabaudet.net>

Hi,

I've seen your web site (very informative) and I have a question for you. I have a VW camper 1.6 TD. The engine has been remanufactured recently (10000 km ago) and the injectors have just been changed (3000 km ago). The injection pump has about 40000 km.

The engine starts quite well when cold, though I always have to use the manual advance in the morning, even if it's not very cold. It take 10-20 seconds for the engine to rev regularly.

However when it's warm (typically more than 10-20 minutes after stopping the engine), it takes 5-10 seconds of cranking to start. After that there's a white cloud of smoke that disappears instantly.

I've notices some air bubbles in the fuel line between the fuel filter and the pump and thought it could be that. I've replaced the fuel filter and tightened the hose clamps and now there are no bubbles anymore, but the starting problem is still there.

Any idea?

Thanks for your help.

Pascal Guignabaudet