Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:18:22 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Another Shameless plug for Westies at Watkins 2003
Comments: To: Eurovan Group <ev_update@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncro List <syncro@yahoogroups.com>, dwolf@bluefrognet.net

Fellow Campers,

****** Racetrack/Lunch forms must be received by September 15th, 2003 for fun with your on the racetrack! ******

It it now only a few weeks away and time to plan to come and join other van owners for a campout at Watkins Glen State Park, Friday and Saturday Oct. 3 & 4, 2003.

The State Park is easily accessible from the town of Watkins Glen and part of New York's natural wonders, the Gorge and the Finger Lakes.

Any VW van models (not just Westfalias) are welcome to come and participate in this event.

For a unique (& strictly optional) treat on Sunday Oct. 5th, in association with the Finger Lakes Region VW Club we get to drive our vans on the Watkins Glen International Race Course.

Friday's activities will focus on finding your campsite, setting up and getting acquainted and re-acquainted with fellow campers.

Saturday we will plan on discovering Watkins Glen State Park and hiking in beautiful mile long gorge. In the afternoon, we can relax at the campsite, drive around the area, and go wine tasting at the many wineries along Seneca Lake and other adjacent Finger Lakes. At night time, the park rangers will probably entertain us with some campground activity and we can retire swapping tall VW tales and be entertained with some live music around the campfire.

Sunday's main evnts will be a to pack up and caravan to the racetrack about 5 miles away (up hill) and join up with Finger Lakes Region VW Club members caravaning down from Rochester and Buffalo areas in their VW cars. We will regroup, take a few pictures and wait for the car club to take their lunch break. We will then be led onto the racetrack following the pace car for laps, pictures and more laps for about an hour before enjoying lunch.

The racetrack is optional but if you would like to participate in the racetrack events, and drive your VW van on the track, YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER and pre-pay for lunch - No Day of Event registration will be allowed. To get onto the track property everyone in your van must be logged and signed-in at the gate as well as pre-paid for lunch. We have been able to get the track fees waived for our club but the track management require that all participants to purchase lunch from the club house. Actually, lunch is served in the club house on the inside field of a long stretch and it is quite exciting to hear and see real race cars practice at 120+ MPH while you are eating lunch.

Complete and return the form below. Make checks or US Postal Money Orders payable in US Dollars to me and mail to:

Joel Cort 5 Hunters Drive North Fairport, NY 14450

All forms must be received by September 15th, 2003.

----- cut here and return with your check to participate at the Racetrack -----------

Name:________________________________ Phone: _____________________

Address: ____________________________ Email: _____________________

City __________________________ State:________________ZIP:__________

Van Year & Model ___________________________________________________

There will be ____ people in my party at the racetrack.

Lunch is $15.00 for each FLRVWC Member (and any immediate family). Lunch for non-members is $17.00 per passenger ( all gratuities included ).

Total amount enclosed: $________

----- cut here and return with your check to participate at the Racetrack -----------

Contact: Joel Cort for additional further details on the camping event

joel_cort@yahoo.com or joel.cort@usa.xerox.com

Additional information and pictures from last years campout and track event are available at the following web site:

http://members.aol.com/cinnabarvan01/Westies_at_Watkins2003.html

Camping Contact:

State Park for reservations - Phone 607-535-4511

The "Mohawk Village" camping area is still open this time of year with nice sites and electricity at sites 50-105. (I have site #76 reserved - cost $55 for Fri & Sat)

The following link allows you to make your reservation on line:

www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ny/watk/newindex.html

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ny/watk/newindex.html

Thanks, Joel