Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:31:50 -0700
From:         Nick Young <nickyoung@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Head Gasket Leaks

Hey, I recently drove my 84' wolfy to DisneyLand. It was about a 4 hour drive the way up there, no problems on the way back the van started overheating constantly and dripping antifreeze (only sometimes not always) I then realized that if I pushed in the clutch it idiot light would go off. Later I realized that if I turned the blinker on the idiot light would go on and the temp gauge would go to the top. I found that I had a bunch of wires melted together and it was creating a short. I fixed this but NOW I realized that the antifreeze coming from the engine was out of the passenger side head gasket. There is about 3 inches of the rubber just sticking out (looks like new still I had them replaced recently, the warranty is over tho) I went to the VW dealership and bought a $10 tube of gasket sealant because I understand that some sealants can melt the aluminum heads. What do you guys think about cleaning the sticking out area and resealing the part of the gasket sticking out? I just want sort of a quick fix for it because I'm short on money and time. Thanks!