Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:55:09 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Starting Problem '91 Syncro
Comments: To: Richard Cochrane <rtcochrane@HOTMAIL.COM>

If you go to crank the van over and you hear a "zing" or grinding noise but the van doesn't turn over then it could be bad teeth on the flywheel. If it is just turning over slow then you might want to check your charging system with a voltage meter to see how much voltage your alternator is putting out or if you have a bad battery (battery with less than 12 volts when the van is off). If it is a bad spot on the flywheel the only way to fix this is to remove the engine and change the flywheel. No fun but if you have the engine out for some other reason just remember to check out the flywheel as well. The only other alternative could be that the starter is spinning but the bendix is not shooting the starting gear out far enough to engage the flywheel. The best way to test this is to remove your starter and take it to an electrical shop or your local Autozone/Advance Auto and have them test the starter on a bench to see if the gear shoots out all the way.

Let me know if you need a new starter. We have rebuilt Bosch units in stock.