Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:46:38 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      why the stock vanagon front seats arent as good as they could be..
Comments: To: Shawn.Luft@COMPLETIONS.BOMBARDIER.COM

In a message dated 9/9/03 12:25:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Shawn.Luft@COMPLETIONS.BOMBARDIER.COM writes:

> I am just curious.. but can you please tell me what you dislike about the > vanagon seats? Personally I've been very happy with my own, and I > particular enjoy the swivel base. > >

i wasnt talking about eliminating the swival base - which i have added to the front pass seat of my pass van - just changing to more comfortable seats. i currently have capt chairs/front seats from a low mileage '91 carat in my 84 van. while the seats are in excellent shape, i dislike the lack of support at the front edge of the seatbottom as thers have said. there is not enough support under the back of my thigh. i also dislike the lack of a seatback adjustment knob or height adjustment lever that VW put in its golf/jetta/passats of the same vintage. VW should have engineered these features into the vanagon seats at the same time too. and yes, the headrests are useless as a comfort feature. i have added adjustable/padded leather headrests from a Merkur Xr4Ti (theyre pretty much a drop in deal to the existing vanagon seats as the headrest posts have the same dimensions)

the problem is that most VW / Audi passenger car seats have the typical 3 point mount. which, isnt really compatable to the vanagon without extensive modification to the seatbase.

maybe i will go back and look at the merkur Xr4Ti seats thremselves..and see if they can be adapted to the vanagon.. those are very comfortable seats (they even have inflatable lumbar/side bolster supports)..

chris