Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:08:39 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Could 5 years of VS be over? :-)

A quick update:

Approx 5 years of gradually worsening Vanagon Syndrome, followed by dramatic worsening this past year. Nearly everything suggested by listees tried and had no effect. Finally swapped my ECU into Mark Keller's good running van a month back, and caused his to run poorly, although not as bad as mine. Then, last weekend, borrowed a good ECU from Bjorn, which immediately made my van run better. Swapped back & forth a few times to confirm - mine would sputter & stall within 10 seconds, Bjorn's ran like a champ all the way home. Tonight I wondered whether the suggestions of re-flowing all the solder joints could fix my ECU (I had previously done just the connector joints), so I set about the smaller daughterboard first, then tried it in the van. Sputtered within 10-15 seconds. Back to the iron, I moved to ugly looking mainboard (I've seen 70s AM radios with nicer looking boards...), and decided to concentrate on the most suspect points. Then I noticed an ugly looking pin on the largest red cap on the corner of the board - it had nearly *no* solder on it, and some black signs of arc-ing. Fixed it up, dropped in the van, and it ran without a miss down the street & back. It could be too early to celebrate, but I'm fairly certain that either my fixed ECU, or Bjorn's good one may just be the end of VS for a while... fingers crossed. :-)

So... check those solder joints carefully - I don't know how I missed this the first time.

-- Shawn Wright http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright '88 Westy 375k '85 Jetta D 263k '85 Jetta TD 482k (retired) ~This message sent by Pegasus Mail, the safe E-Mail alternative~ "Friends don't let friends use Outlook"