Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:12:59 -0600
From:         Trevor Barran <T@TCKB.COM>
Subject:      '89 Vanagon GL Diagnostic Challenge

Hi all, I'm the proud new owner of an '89 westy that has proudly started to display some problems, and before I get up to my elbows in grease, I wanted to solicit the lists's collective opinion on what's going on.

Here are some diagnostic clues (problems may or may not be related):

Van is 1989 Vanagon GL (Watercooled 2.1L Waterboxer) Manual.

---- [1] CLUTCH FAILURE: Would you believe it!? I was ON THE WAY to the DMV to get the sucker registered, and the clutch gave out! Ah yes, I'm a real Westy owner now!

Details: The clutch had begun to make some noise the day before - a squealing sort of noise that began to happen when clutching to switch gears, and over the day progressed to squeal even in neutral whenever I rev the engine. Sounded like a bad bearing. Finally, I clutched in to switch on that fateful DMV drive, and the clutch did not spring back. It's stuck in neutral, and the pedal won't move. When I look at the flywheel/pressure plate housing, there are some metal shavings lying next to it, (not good!).

My Diagnosis: Given the noises it was making and the shavings, I'm thinking maybe the pressure plate somehow got fused to something else, and or something came loose and got ground up in there.

Intended Action: Replace clutch assembly; replace flywheel.

----

[2] LOW OIL PRESSURE WARNING: While booting down the highway near monument valley one hot day this summer, the oil pressure warning and light (surprisingly) came on. I pulled over, checked the oil level (which was a little on the low side, but within bounds), added some more oil, and kept going. After another 1/2 hour, warning came on again. Given this was about 1/2way along a 3000 mile trip, I had plenty of time to experiment with what was going on.

It seems like the warning would come on whenever (A) the engine was hot, and (B) I was in a highly geared situation, e.g./ engine running slow/highly torqued, like climbing a hill at 60 in 4th gear. Sortof like a downshift warning!

My Diagnosis: Weak oil pump. I figure when the engine heats up and the oil is less viscous, a screwed pump is unable to maintain oil pressure when the engine RPM is too low.

Intended Action: Replace Oil Pump.

----

[3] LOSS OF POWER WITH HIGHWAY DRIVING Whenever I am driving at the same speed consistently on the highway for awhile, the engine will loose power. A couple of times it cut off if I took it out of gear/exited the highway.

My Diagnosis: Fuel filter or lines clogged with sediment Intended Action: Replace Fuel Filter (already tried using a sediment remover in gas - helped reduce problem)

---

[4] Observed slow leak of 'green stuff' from valve covers My Diagnosis: Please, oh please let this just be the valve cover gaskets -- engine supposedly had heads done within past year. Intended action: Replace valve covers and gaskets.

Any other opinions, second opinions, advice on these jobs I'm about to dive into, rants about the length of this message, etc.. Would be so very much appreciated!! I intend to take photos of these jobs as I do them for general education of those who've never worked on a vanagon before - I'll send the links and results. Thanks, Peace, Love and German Engineering

Trevor