Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:42:30 -0400
From:         dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Any tricks to removing sliding door rail cover?

I have an 82 and assume its the same. By "rail cover", if you mean the body panel on the right rear panel behind the door of the van, that covers the center rail- this has 2 phillips screws that hold it on. One screw is at the rear, and one at the front; if you look up underneath the cover, from down near the rear wheel; you should see them. Remove these 2 screws. Then the cover is held by a lip on the top of the cover that slides down into a "U" shaped guide on the van body. The "U" opens to the top, so you hammer with a wood or rubber mallet, or your fist, UP on the cover to slip it out of the "U".

The door removeal and alignment is complicated, haynes covers it well. The center guide is removed first by sliding the door open until the guide lines up with the notch in the rail. Then guide the upper block out, then pivot the door and slide the lower rollers out the rear. Be carefull; the door is heavy and this is tricky, especially the lower rollers.