Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:38:11 -0700
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Tie Rod Balljoint Removal
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Well, no responses to yesterday's question regarding the boot on the tie rod/steering box. I'll try an easier question. :-)

How the heck do you get the balljoint off?

I started out by trying to loosen the "locknut" mentioned in the Haynes manual, only to determine that there is no locknut; as far as I can make out the balljoint just screws onto the tie rod, period.

Since I don't have the steering box out of the vehicle it seems like I just have to unscrew the balljoint while keeping the tie rod from turning. There's a "flat" on the tie rod that takes a 12mm wrench, and the "nut" on the end of the balljoint looks to be 22mm, but I've been unable to muster enough force here to get things going. I've given up for the day after spraying the threads with a penetrating oil. Any secrets to getting this thing off?

TIA.