Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Sep 2003 22:06:57 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: failed SMOG, cylinder misfiring?
Comments: To: craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO

Craig Oda wrote:

<<Kind of bizarre that there was no apparent difference with one wire off and with all four connected. How can this be? >>

There is your answer. If there was no change, then either a spark plug is defective, or the spark plug cable. I had a similar problem-it was chewing gum in the number one distributor terminal. How's it get there? The Syncro I bought at an auction was "sabotaged " by a fellow auction member. He wanted it to run rough so it would bid low.

I pulled number one wire and there was no change-then I saw the gum squeezing out, removed it, and hte engine ran perfect.

No change means plug, wire, cap, injector,lifter, or valve.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

----Original Message Follows---- First, I would like to thank Larry and the many other people that sent me hints. The awesome VW van community is the thing I love most about my van, with camping coming in a close second.

I tried unplugging the wires one by one. Strangely enough unplugging one wire at a time makes no difference at idle speeds. I haven't driven on the highway yet to test. I turned the engine off and disconnected cylinder 1 from the distributor, checked, then turned the engine off and disconnected cylinder 2, checked then turned the engine off, etc.

Kind of bizarre that there was no apparent difference with one wire off and with all four connected. How can this be? Should I drive it at speed to test the power?

Here's some additonal info that I did in the last 3 months to find the source of the pulsing exhaust problem: - used about 2-3 bottles of techron fuel injection cleaners. No change in pulse - checked gap and condition on all four plugs - visually checked plug wires - ran a quart marvel mystery oil through system for about 2 weeks - adjusted gap on valves 3 or more times - took off the distributor cap, cleaned contacts on cap and rotor - installed new O2 sensor

If there is one plug that is misfiring, would it cause the van to fail SMOG? I'm not sure how this whole thing with increased hydrocarbon works.

The pulse didn't bother me that much because the van has good power, much better than the power on my old 1.9L waterboxer engine that I swapped out. I've driven over a 1,000 miles, maybe over 2,000 since I replaced the engine (with a used suspicious engine)

here's some not-good stuff that was done - took exhaust pipes off from the heads and did not change gaskets - took the pipe that the O2 sensor is screwed into off from the collector tube that connects cylinders 1/2 and 2/3 and did not change gasket - put a used engine/injection system/alternator into the van. The engine had been sitting idle for an unknown period of time.

In order to keep the engine from stalling, I have the idle set higher than it previously was. If the idle is too low, the engine will stall.

I've got a used gasket between the exhaust joints and have the torque down pretty good, so I don't think there are any major exhaust leaks, at least not one big enough to cause the pulse.

Thanks for your help. Me and my van love you people!

Peace, Craig

Larry Alofs wrote:

>Have you tried disconnecting one ignition wire or injector wire at a >time to see which one makes the least difference? > Be sure there is no leak in your exhaust upstream of the O2 sensor. >Check carefully for vacuum leaks. Try a bottle of injector cleaner. > good luck, >Larry A. > > >Craig Oda wrote: > >>Hi, >>I have a '83 1.9L watercooled that recently failed the hydrocarbon test >>for CA SMOG. CO levels passed. >>I just installed a new O2 sensor, but no change. >> >>Engine runs fine at highway speed, but there is a noticeable pulsing of >>the exhaust at idle, almost as if one of the cylinders was not fully >>combusting. >> >>Valves appear to be properly adjusted and cylinder compression appears >>to be within spec (lowest was I think around 120). I can check again >>since I have the tool. >> >>Any ideas on what to look for? >> >>If I can't fix this, in the next few days, I'm going to bring it into a >>mechanic. I'm thinking about Fred's Garage in Redwood City, CA. Any >>recommendations? I live/work in Palo Alto, CA, so there is Ole's Garage >>near my office, but I don't know if he is a VW man or not. >> >>I would love to take it to Ben's place in Sacramento, but it's a bit too >>far for me to drive there with my wife and drop off the van. >> >>But, hey, there is also the slim chance that i'll find the problem >>myself (with the help of the friendly people on this list). >> >>Peace and Thanks. >>-- Craig >>

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es