Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:53:08 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      The Bus Lab in Berkeley or Chance Fred's Garage Again

Hi, my tale of woe with CA SMOG and a 1.9L waterboxer continues. I bit the bullet and took it to a mechanic for SMOG-ready testing. Fred's Garage in Redwood City had a lot of vanagons in front of it, so I had them work on it. $85 dollars later, they claimed it was SMOG ready. Drove it on the freeway to the SMOG tester and it immediately failed. Van was running worse than before I brought it to Fred's. Got the van home and noticed that it wouldn't start. Upon inspection, I found that the idle screw was missing. Yikes! Fortunately, I had a spare idle screw on an old throttle body in the garage. What if I didn't have one? I would be screwed!

So, I'm thinking of driving to Berkeley on Sunday and trying to drop my van off at The Bus Lab. Does anyone know if the Bus Lab has a key drop and a place to park the van? It's about an hour and 15 minute or more drive for me. So, I don't want to drive there on Sunday and find out that I can't drop off the vehicle. Right now, the Bus Labs is closed, so I can't ask them.

Fred's Garage is open on Saturday and they also have a key drop off. However, I'm reluctant to go back there after this last incident. Or, did I just catch them on an unlucky day and in reality, they're quality is usually good? Please advise.

Either way, it is a hassle for me to drop off the van at a garage and pick it up. So, I would prefer to go to some place that will fix it properly. I would be more than willing to drive to Berkeley if I knew that Bus Labs had a drop box.

BTW, I live near Mountain View, so I suppose I could try south at VolksCafe if they're open on Saturday.

Regards, Craig